Thursday, March 12, 2015

Happy Mail!

There are lots of Happy Mail projects and blogs out there, basically bringing back the joy of receiving a real letter in the mail.  I don't know about you but most days everything in my mailbox is junk and other days it's just a bill or two.  No fun!  I have been so, so very bad about mailing cards in the past.  I have good intentions but it just doesn't happen.  I've even skipped Christmas cards for the past several years.

So I decided that this year is the year of Happy Mail for me! All the birthday cards, all the thank you notes, all the "I think you're the greatest kid I've never given birth to" cards, thinking of you notes, praying for you cards, you're so hilarious notes, you're really a great mom encouragement, it-really-stinks-that-you-have-to-go-through-this cards.....you get the idea.  It's only March 12 and I think I've already mailed more things this year than any other year.

When I send Happy Mail I try to focus on the envelope.  I want the recipient to know when they open their mailbox there's something special in there.

 There are lots of ideas on Pinterest for envelope designs.  This little slobbery doggy's tail is on the other side.


 My middle son enjoys art and wanted to decorate some envelopes for thank you notes he was sending out.  This is a waffle....do you see the butter and syrup?

 This was also a copy off of something from Pinterest.  I cut her dress from washi tape.  A cheery birthday wish!

Here's another one of my son's designs.  A friend of his showed him how to make this design.

And another one by my son after he saw my jar of love notes envelope above. Imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery.

I mailed this Happy Mail out to all of my Sunday School class, including my youngest son, who was so thrilled.  I mailed them their memory verse, ways to earn stickers in class, a secret mission and a candy.  Side note, I have since learned that mail doesn't get treated very carefully, even if you pay extra to hand stamp it.  Every single one of my Sunday School children reported back that their candy got crushed (somehow none of them seemed to care though and still ate it - ha!).  I asked the postal worker about this and she said stuff gets thrown around like you wouldn't believe, with packages thrown on top of envelopes thrown on top of all those pesky bills.  So the next time I mailed out candy I used padded envelopes and I think they all arrived intact.

These were fun to make!  I patterned these off of something I saw on Pinterest as well.  Mr. Steady's twin niece and nephew turned 6 and a friend turned 8! These went into padded envelopes.

Another Pinterest hack - I hate for my kids to miss Sunday School but I don't mind mailing their work to them!










 Sometimes I don't draw pictures but just play around with the typography.  

 And then there was the day two weeks ago when I opened my mailbox and got Happy Mail addressed to ME!  I could hardly believe it and it totally made my whole life. 

So how about you?  Have you sent any Happy Mail lately?  Have you received any Happy Mail?  What is the best thing you ever received in the mail? 

3 comments:

  1. How fun!! And you have the perfect Sunday school class to appreciate this!! Phebe loves mail. Esp anything decorated'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word!!! This mail is so much fun!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mail!! I have slacked off on sending birthday cards the last couple of years...I need to get back to it. Some of these ideas are so cute...I might have to steal them!! Good to see you blogging again....hope the family is well....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!